Artificial intelligence, software robots, 5G, augmented reality, containers and microservices … All these technologies, both by themselves and in interaction, are capable of changing the business environment as early as next year.
At the beginning of each year, a large number of forecasts appear about which technologies will “blow up” the business in the current year, and starting from the middle – which will certainly do it next year. Newcomers do not often break into these lists, but in order to stay in them, technologies need to be significantly added in a year. News Analytics examined the first predictions for 2020 and highlighted the top ten technologies and methodologies that are predicted to play an important role in business transformation next year.
1. Artificial intelligence. AI is in the first place in almost all forecasts. Despite fears that machines will take jobs from people, so far, thanks to him, computers began to perform a wide range of jobs for people. AI solutions are capable of both automatically creating metadata for sound recordings with the ability to search for them, and ensuring cybersecurity by analyzing in real time arrays of data on the behavior of corporate network components and issuing recommendations for solving emerging problems.
2. In addition, AI is the basis of text and voice chat bots that use natural language processing and sentiment analysis technologies, which, according to experts’ forecasts, will be implemented by 40% of companies in the service industry already this year. The high rate of development of technologies for speech synthesis and understanding was recently demonstrated by the voice assistant Google Duplex, whose interlocutors did not understand that they were dealing with a machine.
3. Along the same line are Robotic Process Automation (RPA) tools that automate repetitive user actions. Moreover, if initially it was assumed that they would do exclusively “mechanical” work – say, transferring data from one table to another – then recently they are very quickly “wiser” and are ready to perform control functions and even distribute simple, repetitive tasks. Unsurprisingly, according to Gartner, the corresponding segment of the enterprise software market is growing very rapidly – last year it increased by 63% to $ 846 million, and this year is expected to reach $ 1.3 billion.
Some experts believe that the introduction of software robots is only the first stage of a broader trend of “strategic automation”: the use of AI to automate the end-to-end automation of “manual” business processes in the enterprise.
4. Agile methodology, originally used by software developers, is being adopted by business structures. Collaboration in geographically dispersed teams is facilitated by conferencing, which is experiencing a new upsurge. More recently, MIT surveyed about three hundred companies to find out what technology helps create the best work environment for their employees, and a video suddenly came out on top of the responses: Investing in video technology drives innovation, synergies, and productivity.
In the future, the effect of presence during video interaction will become even deeper thanks to augmented and virtual reality technologies, predicts at MIT. Accordingly, the rise in popularity of unified communications, which previously suffered from reliability problems, is very likely to resume. The new solutions no longer have the previous drawbacks, new convenient interaction options have appeared, including in the content exchange mode.
5. Also among the influential technological trends, experts mention Dato’s. The term itself was first coined just five years ago on an IBM blog, and today it is understood as a process-oriented methodology for organizing the work of teams of analysts and data scientists, aimed at improving the quality of insights and accelerating their acquisition.
In addition to organizational principles that draw insights from Agile development, Dato’s relies on data management through machine learning and artificial intelligence. Today, according to Gartner, only less than 1% of the target market has implemented Dato’s, but analysts are convinced that these organizations are guaranteed a great competitive advantage.
6. There is a lot of hype around 5G networks and high hopes are pinned on them, although the work on the standards is not yet complete and it may still be years before the networks are deployed on a nationwide scale. Nevertheless, individual organizations are already planning strategies for the implementation of 5G communication systems, which promise transfer rates to and from the subscriber at speeds of up to 20 Gaps and up to 10 Gaps, respectively, as well as the ability to maintain a connection while moving at speeds up to 500 km / h.
7. Standardization of 5G promises an increase in IoT and edge computing, and a corresponding surge in analytic data streams, for which enterprises will have to prepare by deploying robust streaming architectures. According to CompTIA, about a third of companies believe that IoT strategies can drive revenue growth by increasing production, monetizing data, and selling products as services.
8. There is growing interest in containers and microservices as technologies that allow the rapid development of highly scalable software systems, especially cloud-based and designed for solutions based on the Internet of Things. In particular, Kubernetes, an open source system that automates container deployment and management, is being widely adopted.
9. Surveys conducted by Gartner this year indicate the beginning of widespread use of “digital twins” – products, processes and systems that allow you to monitor the state of “original” physical objects and predict possible problems before they arise. By all accounts, in the coming years, digital twins of organizations will begin to emerge, which will allow monitoring companies as a whole, and not their individual systems.
There are fewer opportunities to make money on initial coin offerings (ICOs), but the use of distributed ledgers in the supply chain, the financial industry and not only is growing, including on the basis of open source platforms such as Hyperedge Fabric.